MCB Program Start:
Bachelor of Science in Developmental Genomics, 2009, Kyoto University, Japan
Kyoto University, Master of Sciences in Animal Ecology, 2012
Research Advisor and Department:
Dr. Guang Yao, MCB
Dr. Andrew Capaldi
Dr. Nathan Ellis
My interest lies in the field of cellular quiescence, which is a reversible "sleep-like" state of a cell that is fundamental to tissue homeostasis/repair, aging, and cancer dormancy/metastasis. Interestingly, quiescent cells resume proliferation in different tendency upon growth stimulation, demonstrating the depth of quiescence (i.e., how deep a cell is in their dormancy) can be graded. My goal of my research is to figure out the molecular mechanisms that underlie such graded quiescence depth, and apply this understanding to modulate quiescent depth in the context of quiescence depth deregulation such as aging and cancer dormancy.
Spending time with my wife doing silly stuff. Hip Hop dance. Politics and philosophy.
Honors and Awards:
2015 Sammy's Award, 2nd place in oral presentation, the 30th Japan Neurosurgery English Forum
2018 MCB 2018 Outstanding Graduate Student Award for Scholarship, MCB Department, University of Arizona
'- Fujimaki, K.*, Li, R.*, Chen, H., Della Croce, K., Zhang, H.H., Xing, J., Bai, F., Yao, G., 2018. A lysosomal dimmer switch regulates cellular quiescence depth. bioRxiv. [* Equal contributions]
- Fujimaki, K., Yao, G., 2018. Crack the state of silence: Tune the depth of cellular quiescence for cancer therapy. Molecular & Cellular Oncology 5, e1403531.
- Wang, X. *, Fujimaki, K. *, Mitchell, G.C.*, Kwon, J.S., Della Croce, K., Langsdorf, C., Zhang, H.H., Yao, G., 2017. Exit from quiescence displays a memory of cell growth and division. Nature Communications 8, 321. [* Equal contributions]
- Fujimaki, K., Fujisawa, T., Yazawa, S., Nishimura, O., Sota, T., 2014. Comparative Transcriptomic Analysis of Two Closely Related Ground Beetle Species with Marked Genital Divergence Using Pyrosequencing. Zoological Science 31, 587-592.
- Takami, M., Fujimaki, K., Nishimura, M.I., Iwashima, M., 2015. Cutting Edge: AhR Is a Molecular Target of Calcitriol in Human T Cells. The Journal of Immunology 195, 2520.
- Sota, T., Sugawara, H., Fujisawa, T., Fujimaki, K., Niimi, T., 2018. Knockdown of rotund gene through larval RNA interference affects genital and elytral morphology in the ground beetle Carabus maiyasanus (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Entomological Science 21, 469-474.
- Matsuoka, T., Ikeda, T., Fujimaki, K., Satou, Y., 2013. Transcriptome dynamics in early embryos of the ascidian, Ciona intestinalis. Developmental Biology 384, 375-385.