MCB Program Start:
Bachelor of Science in MCB, 2014, University of Arizona
MCB AMP, 2015
Currently in MD/PhD program at UA College of Medicine Tucson
Research Advisor and Department:
Dr. Andrew Paek, MCB
Dr. Justina McEvoy
Dr. Nathan Ellis
Individual transcription factors have been found to activate transcriptional gene programs that are not just different, but also directly oppose one another. The FOXO transcription factor family can activate transcriptional programs involved in arrest, allowing the cell to live, but also death. I am interested in understanding how the dynamics of the FOXO transcription factor family (how FOXO proteins moves between the nucleus and cytoplasm over time) dictate cell fate choices.
Photography, 'foodie' (#millennial), writing short stories, reading, doodling and traveling
1. Chen S, Li A, Lasick K, Huynh J, Powers L, Roveda J, Paek A. “Weakly Supervised Deep Learning for Detecting and Counting Dead Cells in Microscopy Images.” IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications Conference Proceedings. 2019 December.
2. Zhang Y*, Huynh JM*, Liu GS*, Ballweg R, Aryeh K, Paek AL, Zhang T. “Systematically Identifying Enhancers to Counter-Fight Fractional Killing.” PLOS Computational Biology. 2019 September. *these authors contributed equally
3. Huynh JM, Galindo M, Laukaitis CM. "Missense variants in TMEM67 in a patient with Joubert syndrome." Clinical Case Reports. 2018 October; PMID: 30455918.
4. Huynh JM, Dang H, Fares H. “Measurement of Lysosomal Size and Degradation in Adult Caenorhabditis elegans.” Bio-Protocol, 2018, 8(3): e2724. DOI: 10.21769/BioProtoc.2724.
5. Pugh-Yi R , Rezende LF, Huynh J, Kramer K, Cranmer M, Schlager L, Dearfield C, Friedman S. “XRAYS (eXamining Relevance of Articles to Young Survivors) Program Survey of Information Needs and Media Use by Young Breast Cancer Survivors and Young Women at High Risk for Breast Cancer.” Journal of Health Communication. 2017 September; PMID: 28956616
6. Huynh JM, Laukaitis CM. Panel testing reveals nonsense and missense CDH1 mutations in families without Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer. Molecular Genetics and Genomic Medicine. 2016 March; PMID: 27064202.
7. Huynh JM, Dang H, Munoz-Tucker IA, O’Ketch M, Liu IT, Perno S, Bhuyan N, Crain A, Borbon I, Fares H. ESCRT-Dependent Cell Death in a Caenorhabditis elegans Model of the Lysosomal Storage Disorder Mucolipidosis Type IV. Genetics. 2016 February; PMID: 26596346.
8. Miller A, Schafer J, Upchurch C, Spooner E, Huynh J, Hernandez S, McLaughlin B, Oden L, Fares H. Mucolipidosis type IV Protein TRPML-1 Dependent Lysosome Formation. Traffic. 2015 March; PMID: 25491304.